The USF football team finally got out on the practice fields Tuesday morning to kick off fall camp. Afterwards, the entire operation was packed up and moved across the state to the Vero Beach Sports Complex for USF's now-annual time away from home. Here's the summary video from GoUSFBulls.com's Training Camp Central:
Some of the notes from Skip's post-practice press conference and articles from around the Web:
- Skip didn't waste any time mentioning a few freshmen who may have a chance to contribute right away. It's pretty much who you would expect, the highly-touted 2012 recruits like Sean Price, Chris Bivins, and D'Vario Montgomery. Skip also talked about Eric Lee, the defensive end who early enrolled and practiced in the spring, and Tashon Whitehurst, who may have an opportunity with the strong-side linebacker depth not being as strong as Holtz might like.
- Sounds like the first scrimmage on Monday will be the point where Skip and his staff start building the next depth chart. (Michael Manganello's Tribune story mentions this as well.) So if there are other freshmen looking to get on the field this year, they probably need to make a splash quickly.
- There are a whole bunch of player interviews on the GoUSFBulls site, more than I can ever remember. It's nice to hear some new players in front of the camera as well -- today you can watch interviews with Fidel Montgomery, Andreas Shields, Mattias Ciabatti, Austin Reiter, and Todd Chandler, who may have more to prove than any player on the team.
- Speaking of Chandler, there's a nice feature on him by Greg Auman in this morning's Times. It sheds a lot of light on why we haven't seen nearly as much of Todd on the field as we might have expected when he was the biggest catch in the 2010 recruiting class.
- Sterling Griffin is now wearing #2 to honor his dad Steve, who played for Purdue in the 1980s, and maybe to clear away some bad karma. I threw this link out on Twitter earlier, but Griffin is taking on quite a lineage by choosing to wear #2.
- Plenty of photos to choose from, whether you want the official site's gallery, or Bulls247's pictures of some of the new additions to the team.