USF Football received a huge verbal commitment from Port Orange Atlantic High School Linebacker Ty Berrong, who becomes the third linebacker in the #20Strong class and the first after Vincent Starling decommitted a few weeks ago.
Per 247, he becomes the highest rated defensive prospect in the 2020 haul and shoots the Bulls back up to fourth in the conference.
LB Ty Berrong
6’3”, 225 pounds
Atlantic High School, Port Orange, FL
Recruiting Rankings (for now): Three-star on 247 (0.8742 Composite score), Rivals, and ESPN.
Other Notable Offers: Florida, Purdue, Nebraska, West Virginia, Pitt.
Space Coast Primary Recruiter: Bryan Hill.
Ty becomes the highest ranked defensive player for USF this recruiting class and after watching his film, it’s easy to see why.
The 6’3, 225-LB linebacker can absolutely wreak havoc on the football field. Berrong does an excellent job of shooting his gap on a blitz and laying the wood on the opposing QB or RB. He’s also athletic enough to drop back into coverage and snagged a couple of interceptions last season for Atlantic HS.
His eyes stay disciplined in the backfield, always seeming to know exactly where the ball is going even when there is a lot of traffic and motion in the backfield. Although he isn’t the fastest linebacker by clocking in at a 4.9 unofficial 40, his play recognition and big hitting ability would have him slot perfectly into either the Will or Sam position for USF.
2020 Verbal Commits
- Tampa Gaither LB Chance Coleman
- Braden River RB Brian Battie
- Gainesville DT Gentle Hunt
- Lake City Columbia QB Jordan Smith
- Jacksonville First Coast WR Tyree Saunders
- OT Miller Merriweather-Lewis, WR Da’Quan Bailey-Brown, ATH Marquez Bell, LB Le’Vontae Camiel
- Daytona Beach Mainland RB Taron Keith and DeLand CB Ben Knox
- Valdosta High School QB Tate Rodemaker
- The Villages Charter School DB Mac Harris
- Dunnelon DB AJ Hamilton
- Ft. Lauderdale American Heritage OG Khristopher Love