Lot of stuff to get to over the weekend, so let's get to it:
- First off, congrats to Greg Auman, who welcomed the birth of his son over the weekend. Glad to hear that everyone is doing well, and we at V5 wish them all the best.
- Couple of preseason polls to get to, as Coach Prado and the baseball team were picked to finish 4th this season by Big East Coaches, while Coach Eriksen and the softball team were picked to finish 6th, which is the lowest spot they've ever appeared in the Big East preseason poll.
- Speaking of softball, congrats to Coach Eriksen for being named Head Coach of US National Softball Team. This is a huge honor, and we are proud to have him here in Tampa coaching up the softball team.
- Track & Field had a very productive meet at the Jayhawk Classic, with USF winning eight events. The meet was highlighted with Denise von Enyatten setting a school record in the pole vault with a jump of 14 feet. For those wondering how our football players are doing, Derrick Hopkins and Kayvon Webster finished 2nd and 3rd in the 60 meter dash, and Hopkins finished 2nd in the 200 meter dash as well.
- Forgot to mention this earlier, but for anyone interested in walking-on the football team, there is an informational meeting on Feburary 1st. We've had a great history with walk-ons earning playing time and scholarships, and looking forward to see who emerges from this crop.
- Tennis had a successful weekend, with the men's and women's team winning 3 out of 4 meets this weekend. The men shut out both Florida Gulf Coast and Florida A&M 7-0 a piece, with only two matches in the FAMU meet going to a 3rd set. The 28th ranked women faced a tough challenge in Atlanta this weekend in the first two rounds of the ITA Indoor Championships. The Bulls scored a minor upset in the 1st round when they defeated 25th ranked Illinois 4-3 on Saturday, but on Sunday they were knocked out of the tournament by hosts Georgia Tech, who defeated the Bulls 4-2.
- If you haven't gotten the email yet, USF is selling their annual bowl commemorative ticket from the Meineke Car Care Bowl. The ticket has been signed by Coach Holtz, and comes in its own protective case. Always a must buy for any USF fan.