Toarlyn Fitzpatrick and Ron Anderson Jr. each had double-doubles as the USF Bulls (5-2) beat the FAU Owls (3-4) 68-55. With Augustus Gilchrist still out because of a shoulder injury, USF's posts stepped up in a big way against the Owls. Toarlyn Fitzpatrick had a monster game with 17 points, 14 rebounds, and 3 blocks while Ron Anderson Jr had 14 points, 12 rebounds, and 3 blocks. Anthony Collins had another great game off the bench, going for 12 points, 7 assists, and 4 steals while Victor Rudd chipped in with 11 points.
FAU was without leading scorer Greg Gantt who was out with an ankle injury, and Omari Hines stepped up in his absence. Hines was the only option for FAU in the 2nd half, as he finished with a game high 20 points. Pablo Bertone was the only other Owl in double figures with 11 points.
The Bulls were outplayed in the first 10 minutes of the game by FAU, but USF went on a 25-5 run to end the half for a 39-23 lead. USF was able to stretch the lead to 22 points early in the 2nd half before the Owls chipped the lead all the way down to 9 points with around 5 minutes remaining. Collins took the game into his own hands with a personal 5-0 run that put the game out of reach.
A few thoughts from the game:
- Just dominant on the glass. The Bulls outrebounded FAU 42-29 on the night, and when FAU got it close down the stretch, USF kept FAU to only one shot on each possession.
- Ten turnovers on the night. Not bad at all.
- The team was excellent from the charity stripe tonight. Anytime you hit over 70% of your FT attempts I will be happy. Even Ron was improved, going 4-7 on the night.
- Not the best night from the other two members of LaBlanthony Conasity. LaVonte Dority's minutes were slashed for Collins and finished the night with 2 points, 2 rebounds, and an assist. Blake Nash disappeared at times going for 7 points, 2 rebounds, and 2 assists.
- Somebody's minutes had to be slashed with Nash's move to the 2 guard, and it looks like it will be Shaun Noriega. Just have to wonder what will happen when Jawanza Poland comes back.
- Collin's input after the game. The best lineup on the court by far is Collins, Hugh Robertson, Rudd, Fitzpatrick, and Anderson Jr.. If the offense was catered around Victor tonight he probably could have gone for 40.
USF will next head up to Virginia to take on VCU on Wednesday.