clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Women’s Soccer Trounces UMass 3-0

Freshman Evelyne scores two in Sunday’s win

Team celebrates Viens’ goal
Travis Pendergrass

The 23rd ranked USF women’s soccer (4-0-0) walloped UMass 3-0 in a hot, hot Corbett Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

USF’s starting XI read Kat Elliott, Hrabbo Hauksdottir, Lotta Fennefoss, Payton Cook, Kelli Burney, Andrea Hauksdottir, Jordyn Listro, Jordan Tuttle, Trudi Carter, Evelyne Viens, and Leticia Skeete. The two changes for the Bulls were Payton Cook for Yasmine Hall and Jordan Tuttle for Gudren Sigurdardottir (I almost spelled that right on my first try).

It was pretty clear from the opening whistle who the better team was. USF was bigger, faster and all around better on the ball than UMass. Viens gave a sign of things to come when she rang a laser off the crossbar in the second minute of the game.

However, the first half would end scoreless as USF deflated some after two golden chances went wide. First, the UMass keeper was whistled for a six-second violation (in soccer, the keeper has six seconds get the ball out of their hands after catching it, or it becomes an indirect free kick from the spot the keeper is at).

USF raced down the field and played it too fast for any UMass player to react. Unfortunately, substitute Jessica Hamrick rushed the shot and missed the completely wide open net by several feet. Just minutes later, Hamrick would hit a beautiful header that looked to be good, only to hit the post and be cleared away.

The half ended with UMass wasting a fair amount of time and USF’s Aubrey Megrath ringing yet another shot off the post. USF went deep into their bench during the first half, making roughly half a dozen subs.

The starters came back in to start the second half, looking as though they had regained their composure and immediately put UMass on defense.

The game sprang to life in the 55th minute when Jordyn Listro sent a long free kick into the box, and the referee called for a penalty, indicating a UMass player and pulled a Bull away from the ball. Trudi Carter stepped up and buried the ball in the right side-netting.

Only six minutes later, Skeete sent a ball across the top of the box that found Viens, who took two touches and fired a missile past the keeper for her first of the day.

Two minutes after, Viens was sprung on a breakaway, only to be tripped up by the keeper. Referee Andres Pfefferkorn called for a second penalty. Viens tried to shy away from taking it, but Coach Shilte-Brown told her otherwise. She blasted the ball into the roof of the net for her second of the day, her third in two games.

From there, the game settled back down as USF began to rotate the reserve players into the match, including backup keeper Haley Johnson entering the game in the 75th minute.

After the game, Coach Schilte-Brown was quite pleased to have gotten so many players into the game. “It feels great, as a coach. This is a really good team, a really young team, and I have a lot of girls that just come to practice and work really hard. They’re great kids and they have good attitudes and not everyone gets to play...I think they’re talented kids and they’re all part of this team, so any time we can get them minutes, it feels great and they deserve it.”

On the quick development of Viens, “We had really high hopes and expectations for Evelyne coming in, and it’s just nice to see them coming to fruition so quickly. She’s just a confident girl, strong, good player.”

USF looks to remain undefeated vs Alabama on Thursday night in Tampa.

Game notes

  • Both teams whipped off double digit shots, 16-13 in favor of USF, with eight on target vs six SOG for UMass.
  • In all, 26 different Bulls got into the game, only Carlotta Fennefoss playing the full 90.
  • There were four cards: three yellows for UMass, and one for freshman Rebekah Anderson in the 84th minute.