USF barely moved in the latest AP and Coaches polls coming off an open date last week. Not surprisingly, they were left out of the latest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday.
Third Rankings: Top 2️⃣5️⃣ pic.twitter.com/hRECD5Ninw— College Football Playoff (@CFBPlayoff) November 15, 2017
The American is once again represented twice this week, with C. moving up three spots to #15 and Memphis inching up to #21.
The same things we said about the Knights in last week's batch of rankings still applies while USF's chances of hosting the AAC championship game should they win out now hinges on SMU upsetting higher-ranked Memphis this Saturday.
As far as the Group of Five goes, the most notable thing in this new ranking is the inclusion of Boise State at #25.
Having a relatively quiet year by their standards, the Broncos become just the second Mountain West team to be ranked in any poll this season. Their 8-2 record includes wins over Sun Belt leading Troy, formerly ranked San Diego State, and already bowl-eligible Wyoming and Colorado State.
Their two losses have come in a triple-overtime thriller versus #14 Washington State and a 19-point loss to a bowl-eligible Virginia team, who has taken steps forward in year two of the Bronco Mendanhall era.
Boise will host Air Force this Saturday before traveling to #27 in S&P+ Fresno State to close the regular season. (And most likely facing the Bulldogs again in the Mountain West Championship game.)
The presence of the Broncos will certainly lead to much consternation amongst USF fans this week. But once again, win out and it won't matter in the end.
- Your Final Four if the season ended today: #1 Alabama vs. #4 Oklahoma (most likely in the Sugar Bowl) and #2 Clemson vs. #3 Miami (most likely in the Rose Bowl). We know this will change since Clemson and Miami will play each other in the ACC Championship game. Alabama will engage in the annual SEC-SoCon challenge this weekend before the Iron Bowl while OU will travel to Kansas (lol).
- Wisconsin will get a shot to crack the top four this week when it hosts a Michigan team that has stealthily been putting things together since their blowout loss at Penn State.
- Speaking of Iron Bowl, #6 Auburn is totally going to pull their usual late-season voodoo shenanigans, aren't they?
- As alluded to earlier, even though they moved up three spots, there are still eight two-loss teams ranked ahead of C.
- Instead of five last week, there are now six(!) three-loss teams ranked in the top 25. Mississippi State blew a fourth-quarter lead against Alabama and didn't move at all!
- RIP the Pac-12 title hopes with Stanford taking out Washington.