What’s up y’all? YOUR GIRL IS BACK! It really feels like forever since I’ve jumbled up some #content for you, but then again it also feels like the offseason went by FAR too quickly.
Anyway, the American Athletic Conference announced its 2017-18 men’s basketball schedule today … which means the season is right around the corner … which means I should probably crawl out of my hole now. (Edit: probably should actually stay in that hole because USF).
Kidding. I think we all have a better season to look forward to this year. You know, new coaching staff, 10 new players, etc.
Here are some of the key conference matchups we’ll see this year. And don’t even try to @ me for not writing about all of them, because YOU spend an entire season covering this team and tell me if that would be fun.
So, conference play will open for the Bulls against the Houston Cougars on Thursday, December 28, at the Sun Dome. The time is TBA but we do know the game will be nationally televised (on either ESPNU or ESPNEWS) … well, like all of the Bulls’ AAC games will be nationally televised, but I couldn’t really think of anything else to say other than this is the first one and it’s at home. Be there.
Moving forward to probably the worst part of the schedule IMO but whatever … Sunday, December 31. At SMU. Against Jahmal McMurray (you guys remember him right?) who will have just become eligible to play after LEAVING US halfway through last season. Yes, I’m still bitter. Our formerly beloved Jahmal went from a team that finished LAST (1-17) in the AAC to a team that finished FIRST (17-1), so yeah I can’t really blame him. Furthermore, my condolences go out to Jamie, who lives in Texas, and will have to cover the game.... which tips off at 8pm … on New Years Eve lol. (ed. note: this happened in 2014 and USF lost by about 600 points and I AM NOT HANDLING THIS WELL)
Catch it on ESPNU unless you have better plans to bring in the new year. In which case, do your thing.
Speaking of how USF was 1-17 in the AAC last year.... that one little win came against the ECU Pirates, who the Bulls will host on Wednesday, January 3 at 7pm.
Moving along. I will withhold from lame/corny/annoying “shocking” predictions, and just tell you that the Bulls will travel to Wichita State on Sunday, January 7, for a 4pm tipoff. We would have loved to have welcome the Shockers to the conference at the Sun Dome, but we will have to catch their first matchup on CBSSN.
OK, time to skip around.
The Bulls will host C. on Saturday, January 20, at 6 p.m. Obviously I don’t have to tell you guys that if you’re not at this game then you’re fake. Because RIVAL TEAM. Because AT HOME. Because STUDENT SECTION vs. STUDENT SECTION. Because WE HAVE A 7-FOOT-2 PLAYER WHO MIGHT BE ABLE TO ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING ABOUT TACKO FALL.
*calms self down*
Now skipping WAY ahead because nothing else seems extremely notable. Regular season conference play will finish up against SMU on Sunday, March 4, at 2 p.m. And the 2018 AAC Championship will take place on March 8-11 at the Amway Center in Orlando. See you there because ORLANDO. CLOSE. SUPPORT. ROAD TRIP? Hit me up.
Here’s the full schedule:
- Thursday, December 28 – vs Houston, TBA (ESPNU/ESPNEWS)
- Sunday, December 31 - @ SMU, 8 p.m. (ESPNU)
- Wednesday, January 3 – vs ECU, 7 p.m. (ESPN3)
- Sunday, January 7 – @ Wichita State, 4 p.m. (CBSSN)
- Saturday, January 13 – vs Cincinnati, 7 p.m. (ESPNEWS)
- Wednesday, January 17 - @ ECU, 7 p.m. (ESPN3)
- Saturday, January 20 – vs C., 6 p.m. (ESPNU)
- Thursday, January 25 – @ Tulane, 9 p.m. (ESPNU)
- Sunday, January 28 – @ Houston, 3 p.m. (ESPN3)
- Wednesday, January 31 – vs Memphis, 8:30 p.m. (ESPNEWS)
- Sunday, February 4 – vs Tulsa, TBA (ESPN3)
- Wednesday, February 7 – @ UConn, 7 p.m. (ESPNU)
- Saturday, February 10 – vs Temple, 12 p.m. (ESPNU)
- Wednesday, February 14 – @ C., 6 p.m. (ESPNEWS)
- Sunday, February 18 – @ Tulsa, 3 p.m. (ESPN3)
- Saturday, February 24 – vs Tulane, 12 p.m. (ESPNU)
- Thursday, March 1 - @ Memphis, 9 p.m. ESPNEWS
- Sunday, March 4 – vs SMU, 2 p.m. ESPNEWS