USF Football continued spring practice today at the Frank Morsani Football Complex and had another shot to “get 1% better today”.
With the Bulls in pads today things got especially chippy at the very end of practice with two unspecified players getting into it resulting in head coach Charlie Strong blowing a gasket on them in the post-practice huddle in a very NSFW lecture, blaming the himself and the coaching staff for allowing things like that to happen.
The media was able to watch the last 20 minutes or so of practice which consisted of red zone offense and some kicking.
From what we were told redshirt freshman wide receiver Randall St. Felix continued his torrid pace this spring with another great snag on a back shoulder throw.
“Every ball that’s in the air he believes it’s going to be his,” wide receiver coach Charlie Williams said. “He’s won those 50-50 battles more so than he’s lost that battle.
Williams also stated redshirt freshman slot receiver Jernard Phillips has a knack of just getting open and catching the ball.
Two receivers, Stanley Clerveaux and Ryeshene Bronson, who have missed extensive time during their USF careers, have had great springs as well.
Clerveaux said he weighed around 170-175 pounds as a freshman and is now up to around 225 (nearing Tyre McCants territory) and feels comfortable there but will likely play a bit lighter.
“Stanley’s had a real good spring, he’s been a leader, catching the ball and running good routes,” Williams said.
Bronson said Strong wants to keep the red non-contact jersey on through spring then take it off for fall practice. Bronson as you may remember dislocated his right shoulder and also tore his rotator cuff on a nasty collision with former cornerback Deatrick Nichols on a Jet Sweep during fall practice.
The coaching staff must be optimistic that one or both of these guys stay healthy during the 2018 after converting DeVontres Dukes to safety last week (even if it’s just for spring).
- First team offense: LT Marcus Norman (filling in for injured Eric Mayes), LG Demetris Harris, C Michael Wiggs, RG Hal Roberson, RT William Atterbury, Jr. WR Darnell Salomon, Slot Tyre McCants, WR Ryeshene Bronson, RB Elijah Mack/Jordan Cronkrite, QB Brett Kean/Chris Oladokun
- First team defense: DE Josh Black, DT Kevin Bronson, DT Kevin Kegler, DE Kirk Livingstone; LB Nico Sawtelle, Khalid McGee; CB Mazzi Wilkins, Nickel Ronnie Hoggins, CB Mike Hampton, S Naytron Culpepper, Mekhi LaPointe
- QB Brett Kean hit Tyree McCants on a short slant from five yards out for a toucdown with Ronnie Hoggins in coverage
- DE Greg Reaves did not practice in the portion open to media, but was seen running on another field.
- Twice in red zone drills, once with Trevon Sands then with Elijah Mack, did the offense bust a good run of about 10-15 yards to get inside the three-yard line only to get stuffed after hurrying up and running a #HBDive.
- Safety Jaymon Thomas worked with the second unit as he plays his way back into shape after missing time with an injury.