(DISCLAIMER: This game is for entertainment purposes only. No actual money is being wagered.)
Like you, I get spam email. Unlike you, a lot of mine is related to gambling. Early this week, I got this interesting proposition:
BetDSI.eu posted a prop on where Scott Frost will be coaching next season. The majority of wagers have come on Nebraska.
Scott Frost will be head coach of which team on September 1, 2018
None of the above +1000
I really wanted to put this prop bet in our game, but it didn’t make sense to have a bet that could not be won or lost until next season. Personally, I’d put $100 each on Nebraska and Florida.
Also, some of you took a stab at guessing last week’s list of rivalry games. Here are the ones you knew:
- Palmetto Bowl - South Carolina-Clemson
- Paul Bunyan's Axe - Wisconsin-Minnesota
- Commonwealth Cup - Virginia-Virginia Tech
- Civil War/Platypus Trophy - Oregon-Oregon State
- Apple Cup - Washington-Washington State
- Iron Bowl - Alabama-Auburn (I think everybody knows this one)
- Governor's Cup - Kentucky-Louisville (though Kansas-Kansas State, played earlier in the season, is also called this)
The ones you didn’t get:
- Fremont Cannon - Nevada-UNLV. This is a cool one. The prize is an actual cannon. The winner paints it their color. They used to actually fire it during games, until it became inoperable.
- Wagon Wheel - An obscure one; it’s Akron-Kent State. There is also an Old Wagon Wheel contested by Utah State and Brigham Young.
- Territorial Cup - Arizona-Arizona State. So called because the series predates Arizona’s statehood.
- Heroes Game - Iowa-Nebraska. This is an odd one, because the schools really don’t dislike each other, even now that they play every year for real stakes. It’s advertised a lot, especially at regional grocery store HyVee, but no one is really that interested in it. It’s not even the best contrived Big Ten trophy Nebraska plays for; that would be the $5 Broken Bits of Chair Trophy.
- Farmageddon - Kansas State-Iowa State.
- Land of Lincoln Trophy (formerly Sweet Sioux Tomahawk) - Illinois-Northwestern.
- Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate - Georgia-Georgia Tech.
- Old Oaken Bucket - Purdue-Indiana.
I totally forgot to mention the Egg Bowl (Mississippi-Mississippi State), which was played Thanksgiving night.
And to answer LightningFan’s question, the Florida-Florida State rivalry is supposedly called the Sunshine Showdown, but I’ve never heard any fan of either team use that term. It sounds corporate, like the beginning of a longer phrase where the next two words are “sponsored by.” FSU-Miami has no name or trophy either. Florida-Miami had the Seminole War Canoe Trophy (no, really). UF demanded its return in 2010, but Miami’s position is that it is only awarded to the winner of the annual series, which ended in 1987. Someone tried inventing the three-way Florida Cup trophy, but it’s rarely awarded since UF and UM don’t play most years. There’s also the Florida Classic (Bethune Cookman-Florida A&M), and Shula Bowl (FAU-FIU).
For whatever reason, wacky trophies didn’t develop in the south like they did in the midwest and west. Few southern rivalries have them. So it’s safe to say that today’s War on I-4 is Florida’s biggest trophy game in at least 30 years. Enjoy it.
Picks so far:
|andrewpina||Toledo -13.0 points over Western Michigan||100.00|
|andrewpina||Pittsburgh +14.0 points over Miami (FL)||50.00|
|andrewpina||Ohio -4.0 points over Buffalo||50.00|
|andrewpina||Cincinnati -4.5 points over Connecticut||30.00|
|andrewpina||California +7.0 points over UCLA||20.00|
|BrianMartin||South Florida +350.0 money line to beat Central Florida||248.00|
|BrianMartin||Pittsburgh +435.0 money line to beat Miami (FL)||1.00|
|BrianMartin||Under 44.0 points in the Florida State-Florida game||1.00|
|CarlZee||Ohio State -11.0 points over Michigan||70.00|
|CarlZee||Under 44.0 points in the Florida State-Florida game||40.00|
|CarlZee||Auburn +175.0 money line to beat Alabama||40.00|
|CarlZee||Iowa -3.5 points over Nebraska||35.00|
|CarlZee||Florida +190.0 money line to beat Florida State||35.00|
|CarlZee||Over 62.0 points in the South Florida-Central Florida game||6.20|
|CarlZee||Northwestern -16.0 points over Illinois||3.14|
|eastcoastbull||South Florida +10.5 points over Central Florida||248.00|
|eastcoastbull||Houston -4.0 points over Navy||1.00|
|eastcoastbull||Southern Methodist -7.5 points over Tulane||1.00|
|ElliotMoore||Florida State -4.5 points over Florida||50.00|
|ElliotMoore||Ohio -3.5 points over Buffalo||50.00|
|ElliotMoore||Stanford +2.5 points over Notre Dame||50.00|
|ElliotMoore||Cincinnati -5.0 points over Connecticut||50.00|
|ElliotMoore||South Florida +350.0 money line to beat Central Florida||50.00|
|GaryStephen||South Florida +350.0 money line to beat Central Florida||64.12|
|GaryStephen||North Texas -13.0 points over Rice||50.00|
|GaryStephen||Over 62.0 points in the South Florida-Central Florida game||50.00|
|GaryStephen||Alabama -4.0 points over Auburn||40.00|
|GaryStephen||Kentucky +10.0 points over Louisville||30.00|
|GaryStephen||Iowa -3.0 points over Nebraska||20.00|
|jjlovecub||Florida State -4.5 points over Florida||77.00|
|jjlovecub||South Florida +11.0 points over Central Florida||77.00|
|jjlovecub||West Virginia +23.0 points over Oklahoma||77.00|
|mcgies852||South Florida +11.0 points over Central Florida||150.00|
|mcgies852||Fresno State +7.5 points over Boise State||100.00|
|McIntyre2K7||Over 44.0 points in the Florida State-Florida game||100.00|
|McIntyre2K7||Over 49.5 points in the Miami (FL)-Pittsburgh game||100.00|
Over 49.0 points in the Miami (FL)-Pittsburgh game
Under 44.0 points in the Florida State-Florida game
Alabama -4.0 points over Auburn
Wake Forest -11.5 points over Duke
Notre Dame -2.0 points over Stanford
|ULhothot||Wake Forest -11.5 points over Duke||44.00|
|ULhothot||Notre Dame -2.0 points over Stanford||44.00|
|ULhothot||Alabama -4.0 points over Auburn||44.00|
|ULhothot||Louisville -9.5 points over Kentucky||44.00|
|ULhothot||South Florida +11.5 points over Central Florida||11.00|
|ULhothot||South Florida +350.0 money line to beat Central Florida||3.00|
Use the space below to enter your Scott Frost prop bets, or anything else you want to yak about.