Former USF running back Marlon Mack and wide receiver Rodney Adams have arrived in Indianapolis for the NFL Scouting Combine. Both have started the process of weighing, measuring, poking, prodding, running, jumping, and being interrogated by pasty NFL personnel types as if they were triple murder suspects.
Mack and Adams are looking to buck a long-standing trend with USF draft picks. Of the 25 all-time NFL draft picks from USF, only five have come from the offensive side of the ball - Austin Reiter, SUPER BOWL CHAMPION B.J. Daniels, Carlton Mitchell, DeAndrew Rubin, and Kenyatta Jones. That’s two offensive linemen, two wide receivers, and a quarterback who was drafted to play wide receiver, which means Mack is a candidate to become the first USF running back ever chosen in the draft.
A quick review of various NFL prospect rankings shows Mack is very likely to be drafted, while Adams’s blazing speed may help him catch on with someone late.
- NFL.com: Has Mack ranked as the 9th best running back prospect (profile here). Adams is ranked as the #23 WR prospect in a very deep class (profile here).
- CBS Sports: Has Mack ranked as the 6th best running back prospect, worthy of a mid-round draft pick. They don’t have an individual profile on him because hey, screw the Group of Five, right? You have to go all the way to #60 to find Adams on their WR prospect list. He’s just ahead of Greg Ward, Jr., who caught 25 passes in college.
- Walter Football: Mack is the #19 running back prospect, deserving of a mid-to-late-round pick. Adams is not on their WR prospect list. (By the way, if you’d like to see what the world’s loudest dog whistle looks like in print, check out their Dalvin Cook writeup. Shameful.)
- DraftTek: They have Mack as the 14th best running back prospect, drafted in the 6th round by the Chargers. Adams recently made their wide receiver prospect board, ranked #32. However, he goes undrafted in their mock.
- Sports Illustrated: SI only ranked the top 15 at each position. Adams didn’t make the WR list, but Mack slipped in at #15 with some sleeper potential.
- Pro Football Focus: Mack is way down at #21 in the RB class, and Adams isn’t on the list of the top 25 WRs.
- ESPN: Ha ha, like they’re going to tell you anything for free.
Mack’s on-field drills will take place on Friday, while Adams will take the field on Saturday. If you need to know the numbers they’re wearing during their workouts, Mack is RB18 and Adams is WO01.