“When David Collins and Laquincy Rideau command the game the way those two did, it just makes the game easier for everybody else,” head coach Brian Gregory said.
The Bulls didn’t score their first points of the game until nearly the 16-minute mark of the first half, but once the Bulls broke the seal, they could do no wrong. Rideau and Collins made a couple of circus shots, including a three by Rideau from almost mid-court to help keep the Bulls in the game early on.
Collins filled up the stat sheet for the Bulls as he finished with 15 points, four rebounds, four steals, and two blocks before fouling out late in the second half. Rideau led all scorers with 17 points, and added eight rebounds, six assists, and two steals for good measure.
USF took the lead for good with just over eight minutes left in the first half on a layup by guard Zack Dawson. The Huskies briefly tied the game at 27-apiece with under four minutes to play in the half. USF responded with a 10-0 run in a two minute span to blow open the game.
The Bulls travel to Greensville to face ECU at 7 p.m. on ESPN3.
- Center Michael Durr had 12 points and nine rebounds (four offensive).
- The Bulls had a 14-3 second-chance points advantage.
- USF shot 21-for-29 from the free throw line for the game. They shot 17-for-21 in the second half.
- Dan Hurley is a crybaby.
- Dan Hurley looks like a Bond villain.
- Dan Hurley has never beaten USF in Tampa as the head coach of UConn.