Rejoice, people. The long offseason is over. On Saturday, actual football will be played as South Florida opens their 2016 campaign against Towson.
To kick off game week, the team released its first two-deep depth chart of the year on Monday afternoon, solidifying their opening starters. Usually in first games, backups will see significant action in the second half if everything goes according to plan and things don’t spiral out of control quickly because, nope, that’s never happened here before ever. But we do get a glimpse of who Willie Taggart and company will rely on to kick things off...
Here’s a few initial takeaways:
- The #BayMade, #BayStayed recruiting philosophy is starting to show, as nineteen players in the two-deep are Bay area kids, including eight starters. This comes as no surprise considering that USF on average leads the entire nation in local talent according to data from Rukkus.
- While the Bulls have been penciled in as American East Division favorites in 2016, you can probably pencil them in 2017 favorites as well, when there could be eighteen returning starters (eight on offense and ten on defense). Kofi Amichia, Dominique Threatt, Rodney Adams, and Nigel Harris are the only senior starters.
- As was confirmed last week, Brett Kean is QB2, while Chris Oladokun presumably sits at third string as Asiantii Woulard heals his fractured foot. It will be interesting to see what these backups will do when getting their first taste of game action.
- Offensive line coach Darren Hiller and the rest of the coaching staff must have liked what they saw from Marcus Norman in camp as he beat out Eric Mayes at staring right tackle. Norman was listed as Kofi Amichia’s backup at left tackle at the end of spring camp, where Billy (er, “William”) Atterbury is now.
- It looks like Khalid McGee and Nate Ferguson will initially be splitting time at the Striker position. Both are trying to fill the shoes of Jamie Byrd, who played the same position in the 4-2-5 when it was called the “Husky” last season.
- Nate Godwin. Senior. 28 career starts. Listed third in a three-way tie at his position. Hmm.
- Going back to the X receiver position and BAH GAWD KING, THAT’S ALEX MUT’S MUSIC!
- And finally...
Kickoff against Towson is set for 7 p.m Saturday night. If you still haven’t gotten your tickets to see these guys in action for whatever reason, do so ASAP.