Let's meet the three new transfers on USF's roster. One of them will be a big help in 2017 and beyond. The other two could play for the Bulls as soon as this weekend.
#44 P Jonathan Hernandez - Redshirt Sophomore, 6'4", 241 lbs.
#45 K Brandon Behr - Junior(?), 5'11", 187 lbs.
#79 OL Grant Polk - Redshirt Freshman, 6'6", 295 lbs.
2015 Stats: We'll cover that in each player's bio.
Position on Depth Chart: Polk is not listed on the current depth chart. Meanwhile, we only found out about Hernandez and Behr being on the team because they're on the two-deep that USF put out Monday afternoon. Hernandez could be USF's starting punter on Saturday. Behr is listed behind Emilio Nadelman as the Bulls' kicker and kickoff specialist.
How They Came To USF:
- Jonathan Hernandez: Went to Bradenton Manatee High School, where he was a kicker and punter (and soccer player) for the Hurricanes. Averaged 41.4 yards per punt in his one varsity year, kicked off 42 times with 31 touchbacks, and made all seven extra points he attempted. After a year off, he walked on at Florida State in 2014. Didn't play that year and redshirted. Punted once last season for the Seminoles for 37 yards. Was a walk-on at FSU and is a walk-on here, making him eligible to play immediately after transferring over the summer. Doesn't have a full highlight reel, but you can see his individual reels here. IS LISTED AT 241 POUNDS AND IT LOOKS LEGIT. HE WEIGHS 75 POUNDS MORE THAN THE GUY WHO WOULD BE SNAPPING HIM THE BALL. HE IS MY NEW FAVORITE PLAYER.
- Brandon Behr: Kicked at Fleming Island High School in Fleming Island, Florida, a town about 20 miles south of Jacksonville. Twice reached the state football playoffs and also won a state soccer title with the Golden Eagles. Joined Jacksonville University's football team in 2012 and played three seasons after a redshirt year. Made 27 of 41 field goals and 87 of 90 extra points as the Dolphins' placekicker, with a long of 50 yards. Completed his bachelor's degree in finance and came to USF to get a master's degree. Eligible to play as a walk-on this year because Jacksonville doesn't give out football scholarships. Should probably be classified as a 5th year senior, not a junior.
- Grant Polk: Played with true freshman Elijah Mack at Charlotte High School in Punta Gorda, after moving down from Owen High School in Black Mountain, North Carolina. Was named Class 7A all-state first team as a senior in 2014. Enrolled early at Virginia in January 2015 and redshirted that season. After the coaching change from Mike London to Bronco Mendenhall, Polk decided to transfer to USF. He must sit out this season, but will have three years of eligibility beginning next season.
Recruiting Rankings: Hernandez and Behr were not rated by the major recruiting sites. Polk was a three-star prospect at 247, Rivals, ESPN, and Scout.
Projected Playing Time: Hernandez might actually get the punting nod this Saturday. Brent Gordon didn't have a great game when he was a last-minute sub in the Miami Beach Bowl, and from what we heard he was still struggling a bit during fall practice. Jonathan could shore up possibly the weakest position on the team. Behr is unlikely to replace Emilio Nadelman as placekicker unless Nadelman hits a really rough spot and can't get out of it. But he or Hernandez could replace him on kickoff duty if they're able to put the ball into the end zone consistently and take pressure off USF's maligned kick coverage unit.
Follow Them On...
- Jonathan Hernandez: Haven't found a Twitter yet, but we'll ask around and see what we can find. His private Instagram is at jonhuurnandez44.
- Brandon Behr: Has an inactive Twitter account at @Behhrr. His Instagram is at unbehrable. Despite the name, it's quite good.
- Grant Polk: Grant is on Twitter at @GrantPolk. His Instagram is g_m_p_52.